Twitter

Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Overwhelming Side of Writing




 When anyone decides to start writing and self-publish the one thing no one ever tells you – unless you stumble across a blog such as this – is how easy it is to become engulfed tasks that feel unwriterly!  


Yes, I made up a word, deal with it.


I have many balls in the air. It’s my personal preference though; I like having different projects to work on otherwise I get bored. I have a novel in progress, a biography in progress, an online magazine contribution to make, my weekly blog (Hi), and reading indies to review. Then there is social media contact multiple times a day and always marketing in various area’s. I do also work full-time on top of all the above. Luckily my child is an adult now so I can do it all.




The marketing side of writing alone can be overwhelming. Which site is going yield the best results?
Do I pay or not pay? 












Doing interviews. Hosting events. Going to actual live events. 










Meet and greets. 












And constantly creating ads, video’s or podcasts. All to keep the writing machine liquid.











Where’s the time to write?




In order not to become lost in all the tasks, it’s usually a good idea to have a schedule. That helps focus on the important now, and not get all crazy-brained. 




Google calendar can help with that. It’s also a good tool if you are submitting to calls for stories, to keep track of when they post their acceptances. Because if you create story after story and submit as I do, you want to know when they end – to either post elsewhere or celebrate a win. 



And as long as you don't have a contracted deadline, it's okay to occasionally take a vacation from all of it! 




Until next week, happy writing folks, Theresa Jacobs








No comments: