Twitter

Saturday, April 14, 2018

How to write multiple stories at once.

Or, at least, how I do it. Okay, not literally at the same time.

I found that I have done this since I began writing seriously, while I was working on edits with my first novel, I was writing another. 

But editing one and writing one are two different things. On many occasions, I am writing two completely separate novels.

writing-3209899_1920

It’s not hard, and it’s not confusing, as people tend to ask when they inquire about what I’m working on.

red-102226_1920.jpg

Those of you who have followed me since the beginning know I am writing a sports figures biography, (it’s a secret until it drops – summer 2018). This is setting up meetings and talking and note taking. Next, I sit down and write out what we discussed. Draft one is complete, now we’re fine-tuning the details, and draft two will be done shortly. A project as such doesn’t take up much free time, as I can’t sit and write creatively for hours on end, I can only put into what it needs.

born-1264699_1920.jpg

That leaves me plenty of creative time. I wasn’t sure what to write next, and I like to flip through my notebooks and see what idea’s I’ve jotted, or shorts I’ve written that could be expanded. I had written a two-page story entitled Wife N’ Death, which many readers commented they would love to see as a novel. Bingo. I began this novel and it’s in the works.

woman-1285177_1920.jpg

Simultaneously, an idea that my dad created for a story keep niggling in the back of my mind. His tale has espionage and intrigue and intelligence and is a challenge for me. One evening I decided to just get the beginning in, the easy part. And it snowballed into a grander idea, with added characters and plot lines.

street-art-2044085_1920.jpg

I write the bio Sundays after my meetings. I write my creative horror when I’m in the mood for light spooky fun, and I write my dad’s novel when I’m feeling bored and in need of deeper thinking. (There is also flash fiction, articles, and a tv show at all times in progress too.)

 Snapshot of my drive

 

Sat mornings I write this for you 😊

That is the secret to writing multiple books at once – do it with inspiration.

What are you working on? Share in the comments.

No comments: