Twitter

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Writers Block - Says Who


Writing when you just don’t feel like it.

We all have these days, I think some people even call it writer's block, and I don’t believe in writer's block. 

You are either writing, or you are not.

Today was one of those days for me. I was editing in the morning with the intention of writing in the afternoon. Then I learned that it was going to be nice out today and raining for the rest of the weekend, so I went outside instead.

Now I’ve exhausted myself gardening, or more appropriately cleaning the garden, and I just want to toss in a movie and chill. However, I know that time is not our friend. I have a limited window to write this blog and either work on my novel or begin a new story to submit for money. 

No matter which I decide to do, I don’t have the luxury of doing neither.

We must push ourselves to work. Writing is work, even if you love it, as I do, it’s still sitting at the computer alone for hours while the big screen TV stays cold.

And you sit to write but in the back of your mind that little voice is saying, ‘but I have nothing to write about,’ Ignore it! Open the page and write words, this sometimes works better for me by hand. I’ll write jumbled junk that makes no sense, and it opens the higher mind that comes up with the good ideas.

Pick up a writer’s guide and use it. If you don’t have one - my favorite is Wild Mind by Natalie Goldberg,  http://nataliegoldberg.com/books/
she gives all sorts of writing practice ideas to help get the juices flowing.  For Example: Write about teeth. Write about Sleep. Write I remember when. (of course, her guides are more than just the headers, I’m not going to plagiarize her work to show you  - but they are fun practices.)

No matter what happens, your writing time is up to you to decide. If you are pushing to make a career out of it, then you have to push hard. If you’re just doing it as a hobby, then chill when you want to chill. The only one that can feel that urge is you. 

Happy Writing Folks, Theresa  

No comments: