Twitter

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Ideas

#Writing #PetPeeve #Ideas

My biggest pet peeve is people asking writers where do you get your ideas.  I can't tell you how much this annoys me. It's like asking how do you know when to breathe? How can you say where the ideas come from, they are just there.

For instance, I was working on my novel the other day and in the back of my mind, this other story kept poking at me. It was saying hey don't forget about me, I want to be written too. So I had to take a break from the novel and write this short story, just so it would stop bugging me and I could get back to work.

Most times when I'm working on a novel, I don't have the entire thing laid out to guide me, I sit and start typing.  Usually, while I'm doing a mundane task  - such as my day job - a scene to my novel will play out, and that one part can lead to other parts arriving out of nowhere. 

Sometimes I have the endgame only, so I need to figure out how to get to it. Or I may have a scene I want to play out but nothing around it, so I'll start with it and see where it takes me.

I even have days where I sit to write and I'll stare at the page and I don't know what is suppose to happen next. So I'll just type a sentence or a paragraph, and it opens the floodgates.  Like this blog today. I opened the blank page and said "UH I have no blog idea today...Oh..bingo! #IDEA #Petpeeve" And here it is.

I also have days where I have a thought I want to get out but the sentences aren't forming correctly so I'll put it aside and do something else. It's not like I don't have lots to do.

Ideas, there are many, too many, I have notebooks full to prove it. 
So if all you "interviewers" can stop asking where the ideas some from that'd be great.  

Please feel free to jump on the bandwagon, or berate me for my pet peeve. Comments always welcome.


Happy Writing, Theresa

No comments: