Twitter

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Beware of the Scammers


Beware of the scammers.

The write your novel in 90 days

The 3 steps to writing the perfect novel

It's too easy these days to create some webinar and say I have all the answers just pay me $295.00 and you'll be a hit. If that’s the case, then why are they sharing these fabulous secrets for  $295.00? Why aren’t they already wealthy and retired?  

Or better yet, if they actually want you to succeed why not write a weekly blog for free?

Because they want your money to line their pockets, so they don’t have to worry about their own book sales.

I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about with one such person and they had a crazy special of $5.00 for some content that they normal charge $100.00  So I thought let's see what they offer, and I was appalled. The person literally talked in circles for an hour and gave no actual content to help anyone. Plus I was put out by the time I’d lost writing while listening to them tell me how to use the internet.

Even if you have the formula for the plot, premise, actions - or whatever the formula is - (google it you’ll get hundreds of hits) regardless of the 3 rules; you still have to write the book. You still have to create the characters and give them good dialogue. You still need to learn to write and sit down and do it.

Writing is hard work, there is no getting around that. 

It's not easy, no matter what they say and there is no sense in paying for information that you can get free on Google or even (gasp) at the library.

The past couple of weeks I've been listening to (or should say skimming over) some free webinars that offer such advice. They play out like an infomercial. Buy one power washer that will clean your entire life and get the second one free. But wait there more if you buy within the next 10 seconds, we’ll throw in a robot dog for only an additional 20 dollars.  

Now I cant say they are all scammers, (I can’t afford to find out) maybe some of them will talk to you personally, or read your work to offer advice, or editing is a part of the deal. It’s your call if you want to pay - I’m just on the soapbox. 

Why not dig in do the work, read the free material, talk to others. If you have $300 to spare, pay an editor that’s what they are for.

I hate to see writers taking advantage of other writers, and if I'm going to get backlash from some of these people for speaking up, then so-be-it. I would rather share what I learn for free (ask me anything, I don't have all the answers but I'll try) than feel like a fraud and charge even $1.00 for a quick fix scheme.  It’s my conscious I have to live with, not theirs.

Perhaps I care too much, but the new theme of the times is “Sharing is Caring.”

So need some advice for free – as me – ask google - join a group and ask them. Save your $ for the good stuff. 

 Happy writing folks. 

No comments: