Twitter

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Fight to Write


If you want to be a writer, write.


Simple as that.

Whether you share it with anyone, publish, or not, as long as you are placing words to the page you are a writer. For anyone out there that is struggling to get published, or make money at it, this is no easy road. However, that doesn’t mean you should not do it. If you love writing, storytelling, flowery poems or blogging, then why should anyone stop you.

I have only been on the writing road for 2 years now (time fly’s), and I have met many indie authors along the way. I’ve seen those who are like me and pushing the limits daily to get ahead, and I’ve sadly seen those that throw up their hands and give up.  But why? Who wins there? If you spend hours upon hours writing, then obviously you have a passion. Never give up your passion – unless you can live with yourself.

There are literally millions of people worldwide that now have instant access to all the same information. The publishers, the agents, the magazines, so the competition is harder than it has ever been.  

But none of those people are you!

This past week I had some disheartening critiques from a magazine editor, and if you know the industry standard, you must be polite – say thank you and move on. Now most often editors will not even say anything, it’s, you’ll either hear from us or you won't. Simple as that. If an editor is willing to take 5 mins and tell you why you were rejected, this is a time to learn. So, I went beyond the standard thank you for your timely reply, and I asked if she wouldn’t mind answering a few questions – which I posed in the email. Not 3 mins later and I had a response. Now I thanked her for taking the extra time out of her busy schedule to give me advice and moved on to use it.

There will be hard days, there will be days where you don’t want to write or days where you feel crushed by a review. Keep going. Move beyond the people and concentrate on the writing. No matter what anyone has to say, it is your words and your time.

So, do it anyway. Better yet do it in spite of.

I hope to see you on the writing side, Theresa.


No comments: